You may take their swaddle, but you will never take ….their freedom!!!

14 Apr

Most babies when they are born, prefer to be swaddled to mimic the feeling of being in the womb. At some point, all babies grow up. Mine is no different.

My daughter started sleeping through the night at two weeks old. (gasp from my imaginary audience) Some will tell you “if your newborn is sleeping through the night at two weeks old, there is something wrong. You need to wake her up every 2 -3 hours to eat.” Well, when I told that to my Mama, she was like… “What? Don’t EVER wake a sleeping baby. She will tell you when she is hungry!” So, what did I do? I just let her sleep and indeed, my baby girl told EXACTLY when she was ready to dine.

My daughter was the swaddle queen. Any time she was going to nap or go to sleep, I swaddled her and she went on into REM. From the time she was born, I used a sleep sack called the Wombie. It basically a swaddle sack with a zipper. Super convenient and the bay-bay couldn’t break the swaddle. When she decided she didn’t want to be swaddled anymore, I just knew my time was up with having her sleep through the night. I didn’t want to keep her in the Wombie because she was on the verge of self-discovery with a new trick.. she was about to learn how to flip from her back to her belly. Once she was able to do that, I knew I’d have to quit having her in the Wombie anyways for safety purposes.

I started to do some research to see if there were alternatives to the Wombie. Then, I found ZIPADEE-ZIP! This was a super comfy “star” design where they are in a sleep sack but have their arms free to where they can push them selves back over, or sleep on their side .. basically, they can do whatever they want. So, I ordered one for 6-12 mos and then one for 12-24 mos. The bay-bay loves it and still sleeps through the night. HALLELUJAH! See how a super cool it is?

Anyways, thanks to Stephanie Parker for making an awesome alternative to the Wombie and swaddle. We love it and highly recommend anyone to use it!

Check them out at www.Zipadeezip.com!

Advertisements

8 Responses to “You may take their swaddle, but you will never take ….their freedom!!!”

1. Christy April 15, 2012 at 12:03 am #

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Ok first off I MUST have one. I quit swaddling Kylie a few weeks ago when yes she started trying to roll over in her sleep. We also used the woombie and loved it. Right now I’m using a Halo sleep sack but her little arms and hands are not covered so I still have to put her in long sleeve sleepers and sometimes her hands get ice cold. I thought about mitts but she loves her hands. Secondly that baby in the video is way too stinkin’ cute for it’s own good. She had me smiling so big watching her bounce about. BTW this imaginary audience is not gasping because you let her sleep thru the night. Kylie was doing it at 3 wks and would have been sooner but I too was waking her up to nurse until someone told me I was crazy and to let her sleep. Thanks for sharing.

2. madtimemama April 15, 2012 at 12:12 am #

Oh man, the Zipadeezip SAVED our nights. Kylie would LOVE it I bet. Mads LOVES to put her arms over her face — so it’s a win/win situation! I loved the video too.. TOOO CUTE!!!

• Christy April 15, 2012 at 12:21 am #

Just ordered one to give it a try. I’m excited!! Thanks again for sharing.

3. shmooples April 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Thinking about getting one of these. My baby is 3 months old and we can only get her to sleep if her arms are inside the swaddle me sleepsack. I’d like to transition her from the sleepsack soon. When her arms are free, she wakes herself up, stretching them over her head and chewing on her hands. I wonder if this would be a good solution.

• madtimemama April 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Hey there! My kiddo was/is the same way. Mine wanted to be swaddled but wanted to stretch at the same time– she would wake her self up with her arms. Now, she sleeps comfortably and our sleeping schedule is back on track! It worked for mine for sure. I got the 6-12 month size and then I got another one for 12-24 month. Highly recommend it!

• Marlene April 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

When did you start using the 12-24 month size??? because I ordered medium 6- 12 months because my baby is 4 months but is a pretty big boy 🙂 thanks

4. Marlene April 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

just ordered mine!!! My baby is almost 4 months and he keeps getting his arms out…ahhh I will get back to guys once I get mines 🙂

• Mad Time Mama April 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Hey there Marlene! I haven’t started using it the 12-24 mos. I bought it at the same time as the 6-12 mo. My kiddo is 7 months. She still has room to grow into the 6-12 mo right now. My girl LOVES to be cozy and cuddled up– but she wants her arms free. I figured it would be a good investment to have the older one on standby. I tell ya what, the Zipadeezip has literally saved my baby’s sleep time. In fact, she’s up in the nursery napping in it right now. She LOVES it. Hope it works out for you– let me know how it goes!! 🙂 Good luck!